Tuesday 15 March 2011

My experience: Computers and Languages


Dear all,

This week’s blog entry is regarding my experience doing the Computers and Languages module at university and what I have learned. First of all, I would like to comment that the course is very well organised, with informative and intriguing sessions on using computers for language learning. The module organisers: Martin Barge and Eli Vilar are both extremely helpful and welcoming. This has encouraged me to try and do my best in the course, not only to boost my grades but also to let my tutors know that their teaching has been effective and their efforts and methods successful. 

In this course, I have learned about the complexity of websites in regards to their structure, navigation and the type of content they use. I have understood that the design of a website and the types of activities found on the website complement its purpose. Learning about the history and characteristics of the three concepts of CALL: Behavioursitic, Communicative, and Integrative have further enriched my knowledge of website analysis in relation to language learning.  

At the moment, we are learning to make our own websites using the resources provided by the World Wide Web such as the program Hot Potatoes. This allows you to create interactive pages through the design of multiple-choice exercises, jumbled-sentence exercises, and crosswords. I am looking forward to making my own website keeping the CALL criteria in mind and hope to successfully design a useful website for language learning.

I know that this course will allow me to gain technical skills which will be valuable to me in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hossay,

    I'm delighted to read that you've found the course useful and that you're looking forward to making your interactive website!

    Have fun and keep smiling :-)

    ReplyDelete